New to the Detroit Historical Society’s collection are three keys and three ticket booklets. The keys are from the SS Hamonic which was a passenger steamship of the Northern Navigation Division of Canada Steamship Lines, Ltd.
This photo of bundled-up Detroiters walking through the snow in Campus Martius and Michigan Avenue was taken on Sunday, March 10, 1918. Over the two days prior, Detroit was hit with nearly six inches of snow. Note the northern portion of City Hall on the left, and the Majestic Building standing on the right.
This c. 1985 photograph shows the 1980 James Pallas sculpture, “Century of Light,” integrated into the Gino Rossetti-designed pedestrian mall along Washington Boulevard. Through it’s innovative computer-controlled array of bulbs, the “Century of Light” celebrated 100 years of the light bulb, appropriately near where the original offices of the Edison Illuminating Company of Detroit once stood.
With the 2014 Winter Olympics having come to a close, the entire world stands amazed at the athleticism and ingenuity of modern sports.
This billboard, advertising Detroit Creamery Irradiated Milk and Velvet Brand Ice Cream, was atop the Cunningham’s Drug Store on the corner of West Grand Boulevard and Grand River Avenue. This photo was taken c. 1940, and is part of our collection of photos and other materials related to the Detroit advertising firm Walker and Company.
This photo, taken January 19, 1977, shows a helicopter aiding in the construction of the Renaissance Center. The City-County Building (now the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center), and the old downtown Greyhound terminal are among the buildings visible in the background.
On January 10, 1851 while visiting Detroit, then Army quartermaster Ulysses S. Grant filed this deposition against Antoine Beaubien, Jr. for failing to shovel the sidewalk in front of his home. Grant also filed a similar suit against mayor Zachariah T. Chandler. Strangely Chandler would later go on to serve as Secretary of the Interior under President Grant.
This 1909 Valentine’s Day card was given out by the E.J. Hickey Company, a department store located on the west side of Woodward Avenue between State Street and Grand River, which was opened by a former Hudson’s bookkeeper.
This photo shows foundry workers in a sand casting area within a Packard Motor Car Company factory.
"Out on the Town: Drinking and Dining in Detroit Since 1920," opens in the Detroit Historical Museum’s Booth-Wilkinson Gallery on February 1st. To mark the occasion, here’s a pictorial guide to cocktails taken from a 1969 menu from the Chinese restaurant Victor Lim’s.